Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Back to work

This week it was back to work, catching up on some pastoral care matters, with more than a few people's health concerns. The meetings are back: Finance, Trustees, Nominations. Fair booth sign up is in process. The community grief group met in the building today and the Tues night Women's Bible study was on schedule. My weekly meeting with the lectionary group is Wed at 11 but I also plan to meet with some people about the Kavan service. We have the memorial service for Dick Kavan at 5 on Thursday evening plus the "funeral lunch" for another person earlier in the day. On Thursday at 8 the Agape Youth Choir from a UMC Church in Houston Texas will present a praise and worship concert and then they will stay overnight in the building. I have a wedding on Saturday (with Friday evening rehearsal of course.) . Hopefully this week I won't do what I did a couple weeks ago and forget to show up for a local clergy 'Book study/spiritual care group" that I am a part of. We are trying again for Thursday at 1. Oh yeah, don't forget some administrative matters. The wall is being removed in the Montessori class room and a new patch of asphalt got put down on the church driveway. And the Sunday sermons are always looming!

All this is to say that I forget just how busy it is sometimes just being in the church building. I've got enough to do and there is plenty going on. But then I get this...to remind me of what else I need to do...,,and this is what I can't forget to do.
By Henri Nouwen
You are Christian only so long as you constantly pose critical questions to the society you live in, so long as you emphasize the need of conversion both for yourself and for the world, so long as you in no way let yourself become established in the situation of the world, so long as you stay unsatisfied with the status quo and keep saying that a new world is yet to come. You are Christian only when you believe you have a role to play in the realization of the new kingdom, and when you urge everyone you meet with holy unrest to make haste so that the promise might soon be fulfilled. So long as you live as a Christian you keep looking for a new order, a new structure, a new life.
Source: Circles of Love
from today's inward/outward..see the side link.

So....have you got anything to do? You could read the thoughtful blogs of some people here on my links. You might get some "holy unrest."
Am I doing what I am here to do?

No comments: