Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Odd or God?

Here is a synchronicity, connections story. Yesterday I helped Sara put up some bookshelves and as she was deciding how to shelve them we talked about definitions of classical literature and I made a comment that it's probably not by the number of books sold because Chairman Mao's Little Red Book had been the most published book but it probably isn't "great" literature. Sara had not heard of it and I told her that I had a copy somewhere, probably downstairs on a book shelf. As we searched for the little red book I found a couple of old Red Bird Missionary Conference journals and the 1987 one was printed with a red cover. I remembered that I was in a photograph that year so I showed it to Sara. It was a picture of the Harry Denman evangelism award being presented to the Manchester UMC that I had served.
Then as long as Sara and I were looking at those seldom visited book shelves, I noticed (why?) an old plain covered book and wanted to see what it was. It was E Stanley Jones' book on Gandhi and since we were headed to India this month, I thought I would look it over further. I opened the cover to have Harry Denman's signature jump out at me. He had given it to soembody. I had not realized this before and when I bought this used book in Boston , seminary days, in 1981 I probably didn't even know who Harry Denman was! So now I am reading the book on Gandhi and appreciating Harry Denman's autograph. But what coincidence!
...Books, to Red Book, to red covered copy of the Red Bird Missionary conference, to Harry Denman award, to Harry Denman signature, to Gandhi, India, and our going to India? What next? Actually in hindsight I could add a couple of more connections to this string! (The lay couple I worked with at the Joy Center in Kentucky were the Denmans!)
But all of this is just an example for my point, or question. Do things like this happen often and we just don't notice them? Is it random, meaningful, or just curiously interesting? Does this work into your sense of God or spirituality? What is odd, is that I very quickly ,intuitively connected these events as being related! Why? How do you interpret those kind of things in your life?
Rambling on....to what next?
Rory

No comments: