Friday, October 22, 2010

More Autumn

Autumn has two phases
The color phase is the one that gets the kinder attention and this year I had more times to enjoy the unique scenery of this season while the maples were in all their glory.
The other phase of autumn is more about the falling leaves.
It's the 'fall" season. Its about the leaves on the ground and I know this has some work involved. Even with all the raking, I remember this part with some warm nostalgia as well. I remember jumping into leaf piles and playing in the leaves when I was young, and then again with our children, Sara and Nick
But when we get to November most of the leaves have been raked up. The trees, accept for the stubborn oaks, or the evergreen varieties, are pretty bare. We will move into the season of the browns, the grays , and yes the white of snow.
But what if autumn is not over until we have listened to its wisdom? Is Auteum done with you yet? Every season has its lessons. and the work of the church is to help us think about our lives. Listen to the spirit. As yourself "Where do I see God? What is God teaching me in this moment? So before we have pushed autumn into its thanksgiving holiday, or set it aside for the start of Advent on November 28think, spend some time , get personal with this autumn prayer.
AUTUMN GOD, the planet turns
and the earth signals a change.
Open me to the transitions I need to face in my own life.
Be with me in the letting go,
the saying good-bye
to habits, relationships, and plans
that stand in your way of growing.
Deepen my trust that as I let go,
like the falling leaves,
I will always fall into your embrace. Amen.
- Larry Peacock
(Openings From p. 303 of Openings: A Daybook of Saints, Psalms, and Prayer by Larry James Peacock. Copyright © 2003 ) by way of Upper Room website

No comments: