Friday, August 17, 2007

Lakeside

Rory:

Just a quick blog from Lakeside, Ohio. Sara got on line so I could fix the spelling errors in my last blog entry. There's probably an analogy there, about fixing our mistakes that the whole world can see; but since we couldn't get back onto the internet, they couldn't be fixed!

The next two days will be spent playing minigolf, eating donuts from "The Patio", checking the waves, and feeling the breeze off of lake Erie; tonight, it's Mary Wilson of the Supremes at the Hoover Auditorium.


Sara:
As dictator (no pun intended) of my dad's )above) blog post, I required a typing fee. I am being paid in donuts.

Growing up, I've got a lot of fun memories from Lakeside. All the times we've met my mother's family here to chat on the front porch of this old Lakeside Hotel (built circa 1880-something). It's the kind of place where fancy dinners are commonplace, shuffleboard courts overrule tennis courts, and you can rent kites for a buck fifty down by the pier.

It's an old lecture tour, concert sites place my dad says. He's got some fancy word for it... Chitaqua? Chitakwa? Looks like I'm the one who can't spell here. Either way, it's a long, pretty word that sounds just like the waves on the shore - you know, where the back haul of the water rolls the pebbles like rain? Long, long, long reaching waves with a mind of their own. Chataqua...

Chautauqua, he says. C-h-a-u-t-a-u-q-u-a. Like water, I say. All I hear is water in a word like that, no matter what it really means.

Alright, I'm off now. We're set for a game of minigolf and, if I'm lucky, a few more of those home-fried donuts from The Patio. Cool beans, I say. Something with coconut. Makes your mouth water.

Goodnight!
-Sara

No comments: