Thursday, August 23, 2007

Road trip and re-entry

Nick and I enjoyed the drive back from Michigan by way of the Upper Peninsula and Nick got to drive across the Mackinaw bridge. On the way we talked about road trips and I told him how I had driven out to Boston back in seminary days and on other trips I drove out to Montana, Colorado, Arizona, and Mexico from Minnesota. Lots of miles by myself... and I managed to point out that I did it in cars with no cruise control, no air conditioning or tilt steering wheels or much seat adjustment; no tape or CD decks (I'm not sure if I even had an FM radio on the 1970 Maverick that followed my Rambler.) Although I am more or less mechanically incompetent, back then out of necessity I carried an assortment of automotive fluids, spare parts and tools and told Nick about the parts I replaced on the road : starters, alternators, belts, water pumps etc. He probably heard it as one of those "what it was like in the old days" and how he is supposed to think of how he has it easy.
Actually I was reminding myself of how easy it is now, and how my expectations of what I think I have to have are now very different. Besides the cars, what changed? When, how and why did I change? Is it just because I want my family to be safe in a vehicle? That would be good reason enough. Or is it a change in me? When did adventure give way to comfort and reliability? Has this happened in other areas of my life? I would like to think that my spiritual travels haven't lost the sense of adventure and risk? But there is a very good chance I have opted for an easier ride and less surprises.


My second thought in this blog has to do with re-entry... re-entry as in "coming off vacation and back to work. " To use the analogy, as I understand re-entry into the earth's atmosphere if you come in too fast or with too steep of an angle of descent, or with damaged heat tiles, you could burn up. Quite often thats what getting back feels like; trying to catch up too fast and getting up to speed too soon; in time for a funeral or wedding or Sunday service prep or meetings and pastoral care or some church problem and....right away the heat is on. This time I tried, and was able to come back slower by not rushing in on Tuesday afternoon. I slipped into church Tues. evening to get the mail and was pretty busy on Wednesday, but I am feeling good about being back. It was a good re entry.

Rambling on

No comments: