Saturday, March 14, 2009

Updated rambles

It is a gorgeous snow melting day.
I finished the sermon for tomorrow; it s on the cleansing of the temple, gospel text. I walked over to say Happy Birthday to Alice for her open house. She is 95 years old! Sara is out on her spring break road trip and Nick left this morning for the school band trip to Chicago. Beth is trying to make some deadline for her PhD classes.
I might take another short walk and then read some more of Barbara Brown Taylor's newest book.
What's been going on?
The past week was a Monday with the Seniors group for our annual retreat. This year we looked at R. Job's Three Simple Rules. (Wilma Roberts plans to offer a more complete study when she returns.) On Wednesday afternoon we had a funeral . Ken had worked for the Highway patrol so we had quite an impressive display of officers in uniform from the State Highway Patrol but also the Sheriff and a DNR officer and a militairy honor guard from his military service as well. I was there in my alb and stole so I guess I have a uniform as well, to remind me of my duty, service and role. That could be another blog of its own.
Oh yeh, the usual lectionary group, confirmation class, pastoral calls, got added to the mix along with Thursday ministerial association and Trustees meeting. For the Lenten season we had a a very meaningful Wednesday evening service led by the people of Rejoice Lutheran. This next week we host the service. Carl Larson plans to preach on Jesus as the light so I have been writing and gathering prayers on the theme. On Friday I did a committal service at the Camp Ripley Veterans cemetery for a member of the Grand Rapids UMC on behalf of pastor Marva Jean. Connectionalism at work!
Sorry that the posts here have been sparse. Facebook seems to compete for the time that this blog might have received.
Thanks to the persons from Marshall and Red Wings areas that seem to check in now and them.
Rambling along.

No comments: