Monday, November 12, 2007

The Almost Blogs

I notice that I have not had much in the blog of a personal nature. The "almost blogs" that could have been more personal were as follows:
Dad's new pacemaker, installed on Halloween in Thief River Falls and I was glad to be up there for the the day. He is doing well. Mom and Dad are in Arizona now for the winter.

The school operating levy referendum for Brainerd did not pass. It caught me off guard. That topic begs to have larger conversation on the tax structures and economy of school support, but in the meantime we wait to see what it means for Beth's employment and Nick's high school years. His interests areas in debate, drama, swimming and (AP) Advance Placement classes; are all at risk. I am thinking of all the school employees in the congregation that are living with some high anxiety right now.

Beth and I spent spent Saturday with Sara at Hamline (Nick was off to a Youth in Government event) and did some visiting in St Paul; Garrison Keillor's bookstore, St Paul Cathedral, a bakery; supper at the Hamline dining hall and then a fine music concert. (Sara's French horn is still getting some use.) On Thursday we had Nick's band concert, it was fun too. With Sara back in the French Horn section sometimes it was hard to see her. Nick plays tuba; not so easy lost in the crowd!
Sunday morning I preached at Light of the Lakes while Jeff was at Park church. At 2 pm I had a memorial service for a woman who died at the age of 51, after a three year struggle with cancer. I did not know her or the immediate family but I knew something of what I wanted to say; what I always want to say; about the presence of God, and life, and love, and the mystery of influences that we do not know how to name, and I know how to say thanks for the uniqueness of a life.

From there it was off to Home Depot to buy plastic to cover the screen porch for winter. There is probably some small analogy or metaphor there..how we try to plastic off the winter; seal it out, and we feel better as if we have done something to protect ourselves...but not really.
Its only plastic, a thin layer covering a small space, that I will fill up with unused summer things, like bikes and chairs, lawnmower and garden hoses. Winter is the same- physically, emotionally, spiritually... it is there. I expect it and even trust it. But I need the illusion and the space. ...to think I have done something to prepare and control.

In the evening we had the second to the last session of the Spiritual Life class. The material combined "doubt" and "questioning" as if they were the same. But they are not. I tagged a few of my PowerPoint quotes on the end of this blog entry.
Today was a day off. Still watching the Estimate of Giving projections in time for the Finance Committee on Tues. Did some housework, made spaghetti, ran some errands and got some groceries, filled the bird feeders, strolled out for two walks, read some Mary Oliver poems.
Asked myself how much of a poet I would be, to just be?


still unblogged :
Church Conference was Oct 28th, the annual Swedish Meatball Supper was Nov 5 with about 550 served; Had the All Saints Service on Nov 4. We had 16 names to read , to remember. ....people ask me if its hard to do services for people you don't know. I tell them its harder for me when I do know them. 16 people that I got to know.
Went to say goodbye to Ray Koehn, church member who chaired the mission committee when I first came here, and was the "usher" for the chapel at Woodland when I went there for services. He is moving to be closer to family in Paynesville. I will miss him.
Maybe I need another roll of plastic.

Those were the Almost Blogs



Nov 11 Spiritual Life class, the additional notes

True, deep-down goodness is never a matter of mere compliance with laws. Deep-down goodness shows itself in spontaneous generosity, uncalculating kindness, and unstinted love. It is itself inspired by a vision of goodness'
(Westerholm, Understanding Matthew:The Early Christian Worldview of the First Gospel, 53).


God did not create us to watch us like a scientist,
but to dance with us like a lover.”
Brian Robertson


“You need a pilgrimage.
Begin by closing your mouth.”
From the sayings of the Egyptian Fathers



Doubt isn't the opposite of faith; it is an element of faith. --Paul Tillich


Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart. And try to love the questions themselves.-- Rainer Maria Rilke


"The beginning of wisdom is found in doubting; by doubting we come to the question, and by seeking we may come upon the truth."
Pierre Abelard


Doubts are the ants in the pants of faith. They keep it awake and moving.
F Buechner

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I hope everything turns out well with school cuts ... we sit on pins and needles here during those votes and to this point have been fortunate that they've passed.

I appreciate the quotes on doubt ... very timely right now.

Keep ramblin', Jeff

Sara Ann said...

I very much appreciated your analogy with the winter plastic covers. Beautiful, and easy to relate to. The quotes were also, yes, timely.

It was nice to hear a little bit more of everything that's going on up there. I'm sorry I missed your spaghetti night; I had a daydream about your chilli yesterday. Take that as you will...!