Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A Blog Bonus

I didn't realize how much a blog could be a way of connecting to people with whom I had gotten out of touch. Today my cousin, Jennifer, in Tacoma Washington called to say she had been to the blog, and then just wanted to call. I hadn't seen her since she and my uncle (her dad) came to visit us in Ortonville about 14 years ago. Her call made my day. Thanks Jennifer, if you are reading this!

Park Church hosted a Thanksgiving eve service tonight. For several years now we have partnered and alternated being the host church with the Congregational UCC which is just across the corner block from us. Deb Celley from the UCC church preached this year. This worship service is also also known as "Pie night." Pies are brought to the church, and a slice or two is taken out of the pies for the social time after the service and then the pies go to the Moose Lodge where they are served at the community thanksgiving dinner. The offering tonight went to the local Sharing Bread Soup Kitchen and to the Food Shelf. The Soup kitchen numbers had risen in the last few weeks and they have had some attendance over 100 with more children, youth and families showing up.
Other
than that, I checked the hospital, visited a couple of people in some assisted living apartments, had the Wednesday Bible study (lectionary group) a few other "in office" visits, some administrative paper work, worked on sermons and bulletins. ..all in all, an easy day. Since I had worked on Monday (the day off) with a funeral for a women who died at the age of 48 after a 5 year struggle with cancer, I think I was due for an easy day.
For Thanksgiving I am hoping to slip into deep introvert mode....a family at home day!
This year Nick has a 7 Am "early bird" class that usually gets us out the door well before 6:30 so getting to skip the alarm clock tomorrow sounds great!
Rambling on.

No comments: