Thursday, June 18, 2009

Guest Blogger Beth: Update Day 1:

Jan picked me up yesterday at 2:00 and took me to the university. They call it "the uni". She introduced me to the dean, and several other folks. I met the woman who will take me to schools next week. Jan showed me through all of the buildings. Told me the history of the university. She said it started in the 60s as a strand of one of the larger universities, and broke off many years ago to become its own. She said there are 4 major uni's in Australia. Those are their IVY league. Then the rest are Outback posts. She also said that the school system here has 3 systems. The first is the government system. THat is the biggest. Then is the private schools - those are the church schools, then the catholic system. She said all where uniforms K-12. Elementary is K-5, High School is 7-10, then extension is 11-12. She told me that they have been negatively influenced by the bush administration and have gotten into state testing. Now they are currently writing a national curriculum and will have national tests to pass at each level 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12. Sounds like MCA'S. Jan is the president of the National Literacy Board. She is in charge of the Writing curriculum and standards. Next Thursday I am invited to the big dinner where they review the standards and revise them! How fun!

The thing that most sticks out in my mind as an Aha of the day: Eye contact. Each person I met today had unbelievable eye contact. They maintain full eye contact through the entire conversation. Very open folks. Very honest and friendly. They let you right in. Very different than America. I know about their dogs, their families, their work.
Jan took me down for coffee (she had tea) at 4:30. She said they live in the coffee shop just under their offices. Any excuse for a celebration they have one. Jan had Chi tea, I had a FLAT WHITE. (That is coffee with milk). It was funny. Everyone nursed their thimble full of coffee. I drank mine in three sips and realized that I would never have a 24 oz cafine drink for 2 months! They drink their coffee one ounce at a time! Yikes!

Our "appartment" turned out to be two rooms with a college sized fridge and a microwave. We have existed on yogurt, tasty cheese (that is what they call it), crackers and cereal. Not much cooking here.

We will be here for 11 days then it is off to the first conference. The teacher's conference. It will be interesting to see how similar or different it is to our union conferernces.

TOday I have at 11 appointment with Lisa Kervin. I will use her office the whole time I am here. She will pick me up and will go in to get my computer hooked through there system, then I will get my pin for the copier, library card, and have lunch with "the girls". We will plan out the rest of my trip.
More later,
Beth

No comments: