Thursday, June 4, 2009

updates

The occasional ramble;
The maple tree has littered the front yard with a heavy crop of seeds.
Our temps actually got over 70!
It is graduation night for BHS and Nick is there in some music capacity. He is only a junior but for him too, it is the last night at BHS as he goes to Perpich Arts HS in the fall..
Annual conference is over and I always see that as the mark that summer is ready to begin.
At church we are gearing up for Vacation Bible School with over 100 kids registered. Thanks to Betty J!!!!!
And oh yeh, I am trying to work ahead for my time away in Australia and New Zealand!

Last Saturday I bought an old chest of drawers and I have enjoyed the refinishing. I think it might head to the dorm for Nick in the fall. In the mean time it will serve as my sermon illustration for this Sunday. I know I am supposed to preach on the Trinity but I would rather talk about the chest of drawers and my refinishing.
I would like to know that I am treated like that antique rummage sale furniture. I would like to think that beneath my scratches, stains, abuses and aging there is still something great beneath the surface. There is something of me that takes on the years of surface wear and poor repair attempts , yet is still a thing of beauty, character and worth. In the church, is that what we call the soul?
I think God is always able to see that in us. We are not just our exteriors. Can we see it in each other? Can we see it with the eyes of the one who “restoreth my soul” and is able to take the cracks and marks and refinish it to another level of richness and character. We are each a child of God and God’s spirit bears witness to our witness that we are children of God. I think that means that God looks at me the way I look at the old dresser, and sees what is really there.

Thanks for reading. Come back soon and often. I enjoy checking the site meter to see who stopped by even though some of the location info seems strange. When it reads my own Brainerd visit it shows up as Buffalo!

No comments: