Saturday, July 25, 2009

from inward/outward ...

By Ann & Barry Ulanov

Desire in prayer shows itself in many forms. We go at God like a brass ring, wanting to catch deity and win the prize. We want so many prizes; fame, security, power. Often we want very good prizes: love, health, peace in the world, truth. We come to God in ways we are usually careful to conceal in our dealings with people. We do not say to a person, I want to be your friend because you are rich and may give me some of your money. But we do say to God, I pray to you because I want you to bless me, forgive me, help me, heal me….

With God our desire is more naked, and rightly so. With no secrets, we come at God crudely, like beggars or greedy children. It is no good denying this or trying to mask it. We must see the crudeness and include it. God loves us in the flesh.

Source: Primary Speech

No comments: