Monday, September 10, 2007

Virus Scan

Its an old analogy but I thought of it this morning as part of my "day off' time to think. While I am thinking of next Sunday's sermon, who is in the hospital, who I want to write notes to and reflecting on conversations I had with people at church yesterday, and whether I should stop in to say "hi" to the UMW group at church... I am also telling myself to ignore all that and do what I probably should really do; stop running all programs and do a virus scan and maybe a de-frag.
Except its not about the computer (even though I am doing that as I type)...its time for an internal, spiritual virus scan.
Check the inner Security Center? De frag? My computer gives me alerts about questionable programs or access attempts. I suppose my soul sends a few alerts to my body and mind also but I don't pay attention very well. I wonder how much inner psyche "spyware" I have picked up during the week? How many malicious ideas and thoughts have I taken in, waiting to damage some future program function. I wonder how much spiritual infecting I am sending to others without knowing it! (I hope my preaching doesn't across like Spam!) What kind of firewall setting do I have? ... the analogies go on. Do I even recognize the dangerous viruses in me and do I know how to remove them?
Maybe that is where soul searching, listening, contemplative prayer, lectio divina, Holy "conferencing" with others in spiritual care group, or even a good prayerful walk come in. The computer told me how many days behind I was on this check up. I could set it up for automatic scan schedule. I have that setting option too. Maybe that's what liturgical rhythms, and spiritual disciplines really are. Virus scans. Oh if it were that easy!
Another ramble.

No comments: