Monday, September 17, 2007

Poetry of God

We had the memorial service for Alfreda Crandall on Saturday.
She was a wonderful and creative person with so many talents:
writing short stories, making dolls, knitting, acting, making paper flowers,
gardening, painting, doing puppet plays and children's time back at the
Evangelical UM (former
EUB) church in Brainerd.
But most of all she was a poet. She could recite many of the classics.
She wrote poetry and was part of the poetry group at Bethany.
She was honored as
Brainerd's Poet Laureate in 2005.
So we read poetry as we celebrated her life.
But she, herself, was a poem. We all are. We are God's poetry.

Poihma (poiema) in Ephesians 2:10,  according to several interpreters,
has a sense of art or artistic creation.
Not being a real Greek scholar I can give myself some
extra leeway and the dictionary does support me;

I simply see it as the word for poem.
We are God's poetry!
Gathering to worship and be people of faith, hope and love;
is a recitation of the divine poetry.
God is writing
as we become the rhymes and rhythms,
the metaphors of a Living Word!

Don't miss the poetry that God is creating for the world
through you.

Listen to the poetry of each other!

2 comments:

Kringle said...

As a faculty member and therapist, I have conducted research and publication on the role of writing in individuals' lives. Alfreda participated in a research project I did the past few years on the role of writing in the development of the self. She always hoped I'd present/ publish my work and share here work too. This weekend I will present at the MN state OT conference, her work will be presented and she will get her wish (smile).
Fond memories...

Rory said...

Thanks, kringle, for the comment. I passed it on to the family and they are thrilled with what you are doing!