Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Advancing in Prayer

Ok, this helps...
I just got back from a two day spiritual retreat at the Episcopal House of Prayer (EHOP) along with some clergy colleagues.
I remember the first time I went; I thought to myself, I am going to learn how to do this: spiritual practices, contemplative prayer, meditation. I remember, in a time of silence, evaluating my performance. Am I doing this right? Since then I have heard the cautions about evaluating, measuring "progress". So this quote, from inward/outward, helps me today;

By Evelyn Underhill

Do not entertain the notion that you ought to advance in your prayer. If you do, you will only find you have put on the brake instead of the acceleration. All real progress in spiritual things comes gently, imperceptibly, and is the work of God. Our crude efforts spoil it. Know yourself for the childish, limited and dependent soul you are. Remember that the only growth which matters happens without our knowledge and that trying to stretch ourselves is both dangerous and silly. Think of the Infinite Goodness, never of your own state.

Source: The Fruits of the Spirit

I will try to keep this in mind for the season of Lent.
Thank God!
Rory

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Evelyn Underhill is probably my favorite "modern" mystic. She had an incredible knack for making "big things" seem manageable for everyone.