Monday, February 25, 2008

Lenten Post In Light of the Oscars


From the Henri Nouwen Society Daily Meditations:

Hidden Greatness
There is much emphasis on notoriety and fame in our society. Our newspapers and television keep giving us the message: What counts is to be known, praised, and admired, whether you are a writer, an actor, a musician, or a politician.

Still, real greatness is often hidden, humble, simple, and unobtrusive. It is not easy to trust ourselves and our actions without public affirmation. We must have strong self-confidence combined with deep humility. Some of the greatest works of art and the most important works of peace were created by people who had no need for the limelight. They knew that what they were doing was their call, and they did it with great patience, perseverance, and love.

I'm guessing that the people who selected this daily meditation knew about the Oscars last night.
Even though glitz and glamor gets much of the attention the Oscars can also be a way of celebrating creativity, hard work, social commentary and large scale story telling. This is where the modern myth making happens. But I am still not much of a red carpet fan and I like what the Nouwen quote is suggesting.

Don't' get me wrong. I am not against having people in the "lime light." I am not against celebrating a generous act or bold decision. Of course, there are stories that must be told and public thanks that should be given. I am very much aware that some other organizations, causes and groups do a much better job than the church of thanking donors and doing volunteer recognitions. I am all for that! It is a way of giving witness, sharing faith, and encouraging good actions.
So in light of the Oscars: I hope you saw the newspaper piece today about Thomas North and the $100! Or the coverage that Cris Weber has gotten with the reading program software he has designed. Those stories encourage me. And I don't think they were looking for the limelight. But those are the kind of Oscars I want to present. Just being true to a call. Who gets the Oscars in your life? Enough said?

No comments: