Thursday, February 7, 2008

Lenten Post for February 9th Fear of the Lord?


"Working out one's salvation in "fear and trembling" doesn’t refer to the terror of the Almighty’s punishment or power - but rather, the fear of confronting ourselves exposed and finite before a God of Infinite Accepting Love. That is frightening!"


from 1-29-79 personal journal entry


Why is this frightening? Because I cannot consider what it might mean for me to live in the "practiced" or integrated truth of that love...with myself or others? That kind of love would threaten my ego self as I know it!


Are we afraid to live like that?

I confess that I can hear that kind of unconditional (grace) love as an idea...but my mind and heart ...at so many levels, in so many daily situations.....doesn't seem to "get it!"




Prayer and Scripture:

"Perfect (completed, matured) love casts out fear" (I John 4:18)


"Dear God, help me to "grace-fully...work on it" to work out my salvation..to grow in Your love."

No comments: