Thursday, March 27, 2008

Food prices and shortages

I don't know if I have this as working link printed at the end of this post.
This is an eye opening article on the global food situation. Why isn't this more on the news? Or am I just that out of touch. (Yes, I am!) According to this picture we have some serious shortages going on. While this writer is dealing with an investment perspective, I think there is an ethical side that needs big attention at several points. One quick response endorsed in the article is that the corn production being put into biofuels needs to end asap.
I also wonder why, and if, we ignored the wheat blight in Africa that started in 1999? Was it not "our" problem? It is now!
Again, I send you to Jeff Reed's blog and welcome his comments but see if you can find this article on MSN.
I assure you that the dollar increases you and I might be noticing are nothing in comparison to what this means in much more fragile economies and household needs around the world.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/SuperModels/
CouldWeReallyRunOutOfFood.aspx

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Hi Rory - Thanks for reading my blog and for sending folks to it as well. I linked in a past blog about corn that is also related to this issue. Folks can take a look at that as well. Jeff