Monday, March 3, 2008

Lenten post. The Deeper Role

Yesterday morning at the 9;30 service we had the baptism for little Cooper Cristion Drake. His family on both sides, are very much part of the Park church family. As Leslie Drake , a retired clergy person who had served this congregation in the past, assisted me in the baptism we had him wearing his clerical garb, white alb and stole, but as we began the baptism liturgy I had thought about how I would introduce him and said, "Les, you may have your liturgical garb on this morning, but we know who you really are, you are grandpa and great grandpa" and with such genuine pride and joy we heard him say, "That's right".

Of course we know that.
We do wear many outfits and roles in our lives, but there are times when , we know an even better and deeper and richer identity of relationships that tells us who we are and why we are here.
I think lent and the journey of renewal by the way of the cross and resurrection, is time when we layer ourselves though our many garments of identity and roles, and come to the joy of our belovedness and our inter-relatedness with others; and we can say, with love and joy that this is who I really am.
Maybe that's what I am hoping and seeking and needing to do with Lent... get past the clerical garb and the other roles, to get in that inner role that is the best and truest of all! Maybe baptism will tell me who I am as well!