Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Lent Post on the Common good

Last night I was at the community listening and information session for the Brainerd school district decisions about sports and activity cuts due to the failed operating school levy. I was encouraged to hear that the consensus seems to be toward a model that would continue to fund the activities and sports with the Warrior Way especially positive were the statements that we want to work together even if "your" favorite sport is slated for funding and continuance, we value all the students and activities so we want people to work for the common good. Don't just support your favorite activity or sport. I liked that way of thinking because it calls me, and us beyond our particular self interests. Maybe the Lent edge is for me to ask how I will work toward the common good, beyond my self interests. If I can do that in the realm of community sports and events, can I do it in larger ways of food, housing, health care ; and lifestyle comforts. Can it push me to conversations and actions of justice in global thinking? Are there transferable lessons to learn? There is a world of possibility for how I can think of what other kids and families need other than just my own and beyond the Brainerd schools.

Of course it gets us looking at the need for a new way of funding education in Minnesota, and beyond. How are all the children doing! Thats a topic for churches too.

But who do we organize that with? A group of Brainerd folks are also headed to the capitol on April 1.

No comments: