Friday, April 11, 2008

Nature's Sense of Humor

I admit that it was presumptuous for me to have put away the snow blower. Of course I kept out the snow shovels and resisted the temptation to take the plastic off the screen porch one day last week. Is it spring or not? Sara and I had walked a few blocks away and appreciated the pussy willows but the frogs were not awake yet with a spring chorus. Not even an early soloist! Church members had reported numerous robin sightings but I had not seen one yet. Until this morning; after the snow fall and the school cancellations. I heard the neighbor's snow blower running before 6 am so I pulled out my snowblower again and cleared the driveway. And cleared it again after the snow plow left me a huge white sticky ridge. Then the robins arrived. At least a dozen, hopping along the road and a few came up into the driveway. They were all puffed up in their insulated look. I tossed a few old cherry tomatoes onto the driveway. I don't know if that is robin food or not. The cedar wax wings came by last week and picked the crab apple tree bare.
But now its off to do a couple of care center services. Maybe I will see more robins now that the snow is here. They stand out better. And I am glad the snowplow had cleared the road. Its easier for both the robins and me . Happy winter-spring! I think I will wake Nick up with some Christmas carols before I go.

PS The robins loved the cherry tomatoes!

2 comments:

Sara Ann said...

Oh wonderful!
I miss home.
I hope Nick enjoyed his day off as much as the robbins enjoyed their cherry tomatoes.


Much Love,
-Sara

Sara Ann said...

P.S. I told you the frogs were too smart to come out when there was weather coming! :P Hehe. Poor pussywillows. I hope they are alright.