Saturday, April 19, 2008

Signs of Spring and Easter revisited

Forget the nonsense with the groundhog back in February, I know my signs of spring and now they are here.
1)The wood peckers are drumming on the chimney cap and the mailbox and the basketball back board.
2) The frogs are singing!
3) Jim Trott, the church custodian, has started up the lawnmower.
4) The church men's group has been organizing the workday at Star Lake camp.
5) Water is trickling into my sump pump.

I was so spring minded that I decided to follow the Orthodox Church calendar and celebrate Easter Sunday (again) on April 27th. I won't be able to have the Hallelujah Chorus song with the choir at the close of the service and we won't have the Easter lilies and the candy...but we can bring back the scriptures and the hymns and the liturgy. Since it was "so early" this year maybe we will be ready for it this time!

And here's a quote just to add into the mix from Richard Rohr
Question of the day:
What "better" can I practice today?

A core principle of the Center for Action and Contemplation is: The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. Just go ahead and live positively "in God, through God, with God."

In the short run, you will hold the unresolved tension of the cross. In the long run, you will usher in something entirely new and healing.

This was the almost intuitive spiritual genius of Saint Francis. He wasted no time attacking the rich churches and pretentious clergymen; he just went to the side and did it differently.

from Hope Against Darkness








1 comment:

Sara Ann said...

1.) I like your list
2.) I am fixing your picture problem just now.
3.) *HUG*