Monday, April 28, 2008

Reviewing the past few days

I haven't done much of a personal nature in my blogging. Friday and Saturday we got another strange spring snow. The out of town couple I was supposed to meet with for a pre-marriage session wisely chose not to come so I enjoyed more of a Saturday at home. I was looking forward to my "Easter re-done" service in honor of Easter Sunday on the Orthodox Church calendar but it looked like I should be re-doing Christmas! On Friday and Saturday I saw the High School play The Musical Comedy Murders of the 1940's. Nick had a more silent part this time, he was the figure in black.

I spent some time watching the live stream from General Conference in Texas. It was fun to see Ruth Wertzema from Red Bird Missionary Conference, presenting on Red Bird as part of the Town and Country ministry celebrations; saw Alan Bolte from NW district talking about the Hubbard church too! Sara is at GC Friday through Monday. She showed up in a couple of photos and I will post one later in this entry

Around 10:30 Saturday evening, Barb Boevers called to say that "Charles didn't make it." We all knew he was in serious condition but after the pace maker, dialysis and some other efforts we had hoped he would be able to return to Brainerd. So I felt my numbness; didn't sleep well that night, and wondered how I could manage, or how best, to announce this to the congregation, a dear friend and encourager for many and the long time lay leader for Park church. I will miss him.

While the theme of the Easter service , life and hope , was timely, we certainly were a congregation in grief. Sunday evening and Monday mid afternoon I was at the Episcopal House of Prayer, with some clergy colleagues as we spent time in contemplative prayer and learning about St John of the Cross and the Dark Night of the Soul. The EHoP retreat is set to go on until Tues noon but I didn't sleep well Sunday night either, away from home, so I am back to prepare for Charles's service. We have most of the service plans arranged but I will meet with family on Tues. when more of them will be in town.
When I got home on Monday I checked on another church member who was reportedly not doing well; had a phone message from a neighbor by the church who was concerned about the ownership and repair of a fence that has fallen by the church garage;
plus some emails with administrative matters. Tonight I hope for good sleep!

1 comment:

Sara Ann Swenson said...

It's an intense week, Papa. World wide.
Love you.
-Sara