Saturday, July 14, 2007

Busy

This week the blog has been an example of many other things in my life; I have thought about it but did not get around to it! While doing my devotional reading I read a few quotes that would fit in here. But again I did not put them in. Busy with the usual worship and sermon preparation, catching up on pastoral contacts that I got behind on during my time off, pastoral calls into two hospitals and nursing homes; other appointments, visits and phone calls; four (or five) meetings. One of the meetings was about designing the church's next stewardship themes and programs, and another meeting had us making a decision on putting in a digital projection system in the sanctuary. Hopefully it will be operating by the fall. Another was on how we can improve our Sunday worship visitor identification and follow up. Some of the fall programing and calendering is rising on the horizon and the Food Fair booth week is not that far away!
Busy-,not a bad week, just no blogging! I might have Nick or Sara (or even Beth!) write something as "guest bloggers." Today I have an anniversary open house to attend at the church and do a renewal of wedding vows, make a few pastoral phone calls, and maybe (if I get the lawn mowed) paint a small book shelf that Sara might be able to use in her college dorm room. In the past I have enjoyed refinishing furniture. I know of a few pastors who like to refinish furniture or painting or photography or do wood working. Maybe because its something that can lead to visible results. You can look at something and see the change, the restoration or the creation and say "it is done." Much of ministry doesn't have that kind of visible results. When is it ever done?
Anyway, I will try to put in a quote or two. They are probably copied from inward/outward; The Upper Room, and Spirituality and Practice websites. Thanks for your blog patience and thanks to those who have indicated you are reading this!

By Ted Loder
Gentle one,
Holy one,
into an unclenched moment,
a deep breath,
a letting go
of heavy experiences,
of shriveling anxieties,
of dead certainties,
that softened by the silence,
surrounded by the light,
and open to the mystery,
I may be found by wholeness,
upheld by the unfathomable,
entranced by the simple,
and filled with the joy
that is you.

Source: unknown


Music makes an altar out of our ears. A single struck tone, a note blown from a flute, can flush the body with goodness.
— W. A. Mathieu in The Musical Life


As our world becomes smaller, through a growing common culture, the true test of community will be our tolerance for our most profound differences and love for the most challenging among us.
— Wayne Teasdale

No comments: