Monday, July 16, 2007

Monday plans

It is my day off. I have already enjoyed a slower morning; two long and relaxing cups of coffee, a walk around the block in the coolness, some devotional reading; meander in the yard, pull a few weeds, sit on the steps and listen to the cardinals sing. I have some thoughts brewing for next Sunday's sermon on Mary and Martha. I plan to spend a little pastoral care time with a family this afternoon and take care of a couple church e-mails. Maybe I will get a haircut today! The church fair Food-booth committee meets tonight so I will be there. Who knows whatever else the day will bring? I have long used the guideline that I only need to plan half of the day because the other half will show up and schedule itself. Stay open to the unplanned and leave room for the unexpected. I have never had a shortage of something to do!
Beth made some great meat loaf yesterday so lunch is planned!
A couple of things I read this morning:
From the Upper Room reflections today:
By [Christ] all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. - Colossians 1:16, NIV
SPIRITUAL LEADERSHIP REQUIRES paying attention to the reality of our interconnected world, not in a superficial way but in a deep, profound way, a way so strong that Jesus weeps when we do. This process begins with our own attention to and prayer with all that God has created.

- Daniel Wolpert
Leading a Life with God

From page 134 of Leading a Life with God: The Practice of Spiritual Leadership

....and this brief word from the Spirituality and Practice word for the day:
I am a place where God's love turns up in this world.
— M. Basil Pennington in Listening

How do I live into these thoughts and let them grow in my life? Do I really believe them, trust them, practice them?
Rambling on,

No comments: