Sunday, July 29, 2007

Reviewing the week

It has been a good week, but not a quiet week , in this Brainerd version of Lake Wobegone. On Tuesday I got the newsletter pastor's article written,( based on the the Monday Internet problems we had at home here;) did pastoral calls, and prepared for a funeral. On Wednesday I had the weekly lectionary study, and a funeral service for a man who was only 45. He was a quiet man , who had struggled long with his health, but never drew attention to himself. We knew his faith and celebrated his life. I have been hearing stories of how he humbly and simply, touched peoples lives. On Thursday I drafted most of the Sunday sermon on prayer and in the evening I had a pre-marriage session with a couple who have a wedding coming up in September. On Friday before (and after) a wedding rehearsal I spent a little time with our grade school youth group (GUMYS) for the yearly "camp out" at Star Lake Camp. It had all the right stuff- kids, canoes, sand, trees, loons, tents, campfires and camp songs. This year my annual Star Lake "Food Challenge" was pretty mild. But one kid still said it was kind of like "fear factor." I had some canned Asian longan fruit, some coconut biscuits, ginger candy and quail eggs. In the past I have had things like snails and sardines, or pickled pigs feet or gizzards. It is always just plain fun. Got ideas for me for next year?
On Saturday I had a wedding. (Thanks for the air conditioning in the church sanctuary!) and I used that day to also finish up the Sunday sermon. Somewhere in this you can mix in some phone calls, staff and administrative conversations, people coming to the office, hospital visits, Sunday worship planning and the fact that I drafted out the worship service bulletins until Sept 2. I also have most of the Sunday sermon done for August 5th because I learned a few years ago that is best to do that sermon before the fair shifts begin!
Which leads me to the rest of the story! Added to all of this we have been gearing up for the annual food booth at the fair. It really is an amazing accomplishment. So many people coming together to make it all happen. The stand has to be cleaned (we did that on Wednseday) All of the work shifts have to be filled at the fair stand; from grillers and wait-staff to dishwashers and pantry helpers; there is cooking in the church kitchen with soup making, potato peelers, gravy mixers and chili makers! Others are baking and donating 200 pies. We depend on coordinators and callers to organize us all. Of course we hope it will be a nice "money maker" and it is. But as a pastor I find the real treasures in the people who share their time and talents or when someone we have not seen in awhile around church gets reconnected at fair time. Sometimes people who are new get to know others in this different kind of setting. Some people have family and friends that just come to work with us at the fair! It really is a ministry. I see it as a good "community maker." I think of Paul's image for the church as the body of Christ; all of us are different parts with differing functions, yet each connected into the whole. Fair week looks like the body of Christ! I hope we nurture and value each other in the holy wholeness of it all. Its even best when we have some fun! Keep it in your prayers! If you are in driving distance next week, see you at the Crow Wing County Fair!

And yes, I like my work. Who else gets to have a job with a richness, privilege and diversity like this!

PS Thanks again to those of you who are reading this blog. As always excuse my typo's!
I hear from some of you that you just don't do the comments or have trouble getting it to work. I love to get your email too at roryswen@yahoo.com. Just let me know you are there!
Rambling on

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oof-da! Quite a week indeed!!!